16.9.07

Edge: Bootstrapping Our Way To An Ageless Future - Ote Ending Aging -kirjasta.
I've had a fairly difficult time convincing my colleagues in biogerontology of the feasibility of the various SENS components, but in general I've been successful once I've been given enough time to go through the details. When it comes to LEV, on the other hand, the reception to my proposals can best be described as blank incomprehension. This is not too surprising, in hindsight, because the LEV concept is even further distant from the sort of scientific thinking that my colleagues normally do than my other ideas are: it's not only an area of science that's distant from mainstream gerontology, it's not even science at all in the strict sense, but rather the history of technology. But I regard that as no excuse. The fact is, the history of technology is evidence, just like any other evidence, and scientists have no right to ignore it.
Nuoret muslimit yrittävät päästä irti uskonnosta
“Sharia schools say that they will kill the ones who leave Islam. In the West people get threatened, thrown out of their family, beaten up,” Mr Jami said. “In Islam you are born Muslim. You do not even choose to be Muslim. We want that to change, so that people are free to choose who they want to be and what they want to believe in.”
Google sponsors $30 million Moon landing prize
"Our hope is to educate and change public views about the Moon," X Prize Foundation founder Peter Diamandis said last week. "The Moon is an offshore island of Earth that has valuable resources which will benefit us as we grow as a species. We should look at it in that fashion."
Happiness is a Warm Electrode
I ask Diane whether it bothers her to have her mental health regulated by a machine, and she shakes her head. For the most part, she says, she forgets there's a stimulator stuffed under her chest muscles and two wires snaking up her neck, into the depths of her brain. "I wake up every morning and feel like I control how the day's going to be and don't even think about, 'Oh, gosh, I hope it's still on,' " she says. "It feels like I have the power."

Ei kommentteja: