Yksi henkilökohtaisista klassikkoteksteistä, joihin palaan vähintään kerran vuodessa, on Secrets of Survival: Awakening to the Whirl'd Around You vuodelta 1989. Lainaan tähän pari pätkää siitä, mutta suosittelen lainausten lukemisen sijaan klikkaamaan linkkiä ja lukemaan koko jutun.
A very interesting game is being played on this planet. It's called the Game of Life. It's called the game that you and I are in. I'll tell you a little secret about that game. It may not sound very encouraging at first, but listen very carefully. In this game, called Life, you can't win, you can't lose, and you can't even quit the game. -- -- If you think there's an alternative, you better sit down and spend some time alone and get clear on, "What is this thing called Life?" And, again, "Who are you?" So, I'm going to make an assertion. The assertion is, that life is a game. This thing that you take really seriously, is really important to you, "It's no fooling, it's really serious." That's a game. And I don't mean to put it down by saying it's a game. That's actually giving it a very high status, you know.
Fifteen Rules for a Planet that Works.
1. If you open it, close it.
2. If you turn it on, turn it off.
3. If you unlock it, lock it.
4. If you break it, fix it.
5. If you can't fix it, make sure someone who can fix it, does.
6. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.
7. If it belongs to someone else, ask before you use it.
8. If you borrow it, return it.
9. If you use it, take care of it.
10. If you use it all up, replenish it.
11. If you make a mess, clean it.
12. If you move it, put it back.
13. If you don't know how to operate it, leave it alone.
14. If it doesn't concern you, don't mess with it.
15. Leave it looking better than you found it.
To which, I've added:
16. If you commence it, conclude it.
17. If you can't use it, give it to someone who can.
18. If you want to get it done, just do it. Don't yap about it.
19. If you don't know how to do it, learn how.
20. If you don't know what to do, ask.
21. If you like it, support it.
22. If you don't like it, too bad. Do it anyway.
23. If it's valuable, share it.
Take a look at your life, this year. What would you like to be validated for? Make a list. Write that down. That's an assignment. I've just given you an assignment. What would you like to be validated for? I don't care whether you've been validated for it or not; what would you like to be validated for? If we had to take this year out of your life, just this year alone, 1989 2004, if we were going to write into the biography of human history a description about your life, and this was the only year we were going to write about, what would you want us to know? What would you want us to validate you for?
18 Rules of Life